Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Q & A 54 Exclusives


What's the worst that can happen if an agent says this:

I only read on an exclusive basis so if no other agents are reading at this time do send a synopsis and the first three chapters

...and I send my three chapters to her anyway, even though I've sent them to other agents?

To my fellow minion commenters: Have you ever sent out a partial to someone who requested it exclusively and have it come back to haunt you?

Evil Editor once needed to have his entire house recarpeted, owing to the frequency with with I happen to be holding a large glass of Pinot Noir when I keel over drunk. I phoned a carpet company and asked for an estimate. They said they'd come to my home, measure the room, and prepare an estimate on condition that I request no other estimates during the time period when they were preparing theirs. I figured this was probably the way all carpeting companies did business, and agreed. Two weeks later they phone me and say they don't want the job. They only work for the truly famous, and their research has shown that Evil Editor has not attained rock star status (this was years ago, before EE's career had even eclipsed that of Ben Affleck). Naturally I organized a boycott of the company and drove them out of business. You should do the same.

However, if you insist this is the agent you want representing you, I can't recommend ignoring her policies at this stage of your business relationship.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pema Browne requires all queriers to send the complete manuscript to her exclusively (at least she used to). I would send to her first, hoping she didn't take too long. If you cannot abide by her rules, I'd not submit to her.

Always do the right thing even when others do not.

Anonymous said...

Scott Treimel requires exclusives, too.

If it's already under consideration by other agents, I'd wait until they were done and then send to your exclusive-seeking agent. I've read that agents don't really mind a lag between requesting a ms. and getting it; they're busy enough already.

Anonymous said...

You can send a very polite note to the agent saying that the manuscript is with another agent, and you will send it as soon as that agent's exclusive is up. It's also not unreasonable to set a time limit on an agent's exclusive look, so long as that time limit is in line with the amount of time that the agent says it will take to get back to you on a manuscript.

Or you can simply wait until the first agents respond, then send it out.

But don't cause any of the agents or editors involved any unpleasant surprises.

Anonymous said...

A synopsis and the first three? And she wants an exclusive? What's her response time? It better be less than two weeks if she wants that kind of special treatment. An exclusive on a full, sure. But on a partial? I dunno.

I'm guessing Miss Snark would tell you that if you HAD to send a partial to this agent, you let them know the date exclusivity will end. I suspect she'd advise you to allow two to three weeks tops, on three chapters.

Of course, I once read an interview with an agent who basically said, "Simultaneous submissions? Sure. I mean, who's gonna know?"

Anonymous said...

"Always do the right thing even when others do not."

...And let the person who's pushing and taking risks get published first...

Anonymous said...

The thing is, zytriflt, agents talk to each other just as writers do. So if respecting the wishes of the person you're submitting to isn't reason enough to do the right thing, the fact that if you get caught, you can lose more than one potential agent or editor ought be enough. And this does happen; I had an offer on a manuscript that I had out with two agents, one of whom normally only took exclusives. Fortunately, I'd told the exclusive agent about the other submission (and had asked him if he'd rather see it now or that I wait and send it if I have no response from the other agent; he'd opted to see it), so I was able to handle the situation professionally, rather than burning bridges.

It's a small field; agents and editors talk. And, more--do you really want to start a relationship with an agent or editor based on a lie? You're going to be working closely together.

All that said, I do tend to move those who require exclusives down on my list. Be honest; but it's also okay to decide where to submit in the first place based on policies about simulsubs.