Sunday, August 16, 2009

Bad Query 4

Dear Evil Editor,

I am looking for representation for my novel Prophecy's Birth. I'm not completely wedded to the title, Prophecy's Birth, especially since I've seen other novels with similar titles and I wouldn't want anyone to be confused. On the other hand, if someone were looking for one of those other novels, they might find mine instead and like it better.

The title Prophecy's Birth doesn't exactly fit the plot, but it should appeal to people who are looking for a book with that kind of title. I mean, I suppose I could change it if I had to, but just by looking at it you know the type of book it is. Isn't that what a title is supposed to do? Besides, it took me weeks to come up with the title Prophecy's Birth. I wrote down pages and pages of other titles and this was the best (I took a vote).

You might be worried that the title sounds too religious or too creative. What you should really think about is the many other related titles that would obviously belong with this one. Also, depending on the font, the title Prophecy's Birth could easily fit in any section of the bookstore.

May I send you the manuscript for Prophecy's Birth (or my concept art for the title)?

Faceless Minion

P.S. Don't you think Prophecy's Birth is a fantastic title?

P.P.S. I hope I don't have to change it.

--Faceless Minion

10 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

This one made me laugh out loud.

if someone were looking for one of those other novels, they might find mine instead and like it better.

Brilliant!

Khazar-khum said...

This is sheer genius. I must have this book at once! What was it called again??

Sarah Laurenson said...

Love the postscripts.

Fun read!

Dave Fragments said...

Barth's Prophetic Journey, you say?

_*rachel*_ said...

Did you just pun on the concept of the title for Prophecy's Birth?

Xiexie said...

I really do like the title.

Chelsea Pitcher said...

Ha! "I took a vote." Why do I feel like that was a one person vote?

This was great.

Jeb said...

(giggle)


This was awesome, more so considering I've been on a SFF reading jag all summer and know EXACTLY what kind of book that title portends.

Rick Daley said...

Will the sequel be titled Prophecy's Afterbirth?

pacatrue said...

Perhaps my favorite one, and fhh identified the best line.