Sunday, August 16, 2009

Bad Query 2

Dear Evil Editor,

I know you are just dying to read my really long manuscript, THE SEARCH FOR MR. LINCOLN: AND THE ENCOUNTER WITH CORNBREAD AND THE THREE EYED MAN. You see, even the title is long. And with a title that long, the manuscript must be long, too. I can’t tell you how many words it is, because when I tried to do a word count, my computer started crying. Really, tears poured from the monitor. That really jacked up my keyboard, but it didn’t stop me from adding another huge chuck of words to the manuscript.

I know the word count is right on the money, so you don’t have to worry about it. You can trust me. I made it incredibly long because you can’t have too much of a good thing. I tried to have too much of a good thing once. You know what that good thing was? My manuscript. And I couldn’t get enough of it. So I added more words.

I’m adding more words to it again even though it’s done so I can release an unabridged version, with an even higher word count. The critics will rave about it because it will be a big thick book and it will look impressive on anyone’s bookshelf.

I think a high word count adds a great deal of value to the book. If you sell it at the same price as other books, like “epics” that are only “250,000 words,” then my book will have a lower cost per word. It will be like pennies on the dollar compared to those books because of all the extra words you get when you buy my book. In today’s economy, you can’t be too sensitive to the needs of the consumer.

Thank you for your consideration. I think I went over 250 words for this submission, but that only helps to illustrate my point, so I know you’ll forgive me.

--Rick Daley

8 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

That's very well done! I love the idea of adding more words so you can sell an unabridged version.

Khazar-khum said...

The "more for your money" angle is always a good approach, especially in these more frugal times.

Sarah Laurenson said...

Get the best bang for your buck.

Great job!

Dave Fragments said...

How do I love thee, let me COUNT the ways...

_*rachel*_ said...

This is one of the funniest yet.

Xiexie said...

I tried to have too much of a good thing once. You know what that good thing was? My manuscript.

I just died reading that. Just died.

Chelsea Pitcher said...

Ok, Rick, you win the prize for making me laugh out loud. Over and over again. The computer crying really was priceless.

Jeb said...

Poor little computer!

I'm sure I've met this author at a SF convention.