Sunday, September 03, 2006

Old Beginnings 15


Crime Novels

1. I had come to watch him die. His head sank into the center of the pillow, his face an ominous yellow, paper-thin eyelids closed. IV lines and a heart monitor were wired to his frail body, the veins on each arm were a thick purple. A thin blue sheet covered his chest; long hands, more bone than skin, rested flat across its top. He took in slow breaths, gurgles working their way from throat to nose, the rank odor of death floating through the room like seaside fog. I pushed an ugly metal chair against the side of a cold radiator and sat down, my back to the dark city sky. It was late, well past visiting hours, but the duty nurses let me stay, waving aside the rules for the dying man in room 617B, adopting the indifferent manner he had used to ignore society’s demands for the bulk of his life.


2. IN THE STONE-FILLED VILLAGE of Castellarnmare del Golfo facing the dark Sicilian Mediterranean, a great Mafia Don lay dying. Vincenzo Zeno was a man of honor, who all his life had been loved for his fair and impartial judgment, his help to those in need, and his implacable punishment of those who dared to oppose his will. Around him were three of his former followers, each of whom had gone on to achieve his own power and position: Raymonde Aprile from Sicily and New York, Octavius Bianco from Palermo, and Benito Craxxi from Chicago. Each owed him one last favor. Don Zeno was the last of the true Mafia chiefs, having all his life observed the old traditions. He extracted a tariff on all business, but never on drugs, prostitution, or other crime of any kind. And never did a poor man come to his house for money and go away empty-handed. He corrected the injustices of the law-the highest judge in Sicily could make his ruling, but if you had right on your side, Don Zeno would veto that judgment with his own force of will, and arms.


3. One of the good things about being a woman in my profession is that there's not many of us, so there's a lot of work available. One of the bad things is figuring out where to carry the gun. When I started as a cop I simply carried the department-issue 9-mm on my gun belt like everyone else. But when I was promoted to detective second grade and was working plainclothes, my problems began. The guys wore their guns on their belts under a jacket, or they hung their shirt out over it. I didn't own a belt that would support the weight of a handgun. Some of them wore a small piece in an ankle holster. But I am 5'6" and 115 pounds, and wearing anything bigger than an ankle bracelet makes me walk as though I were injured. I also like to wear skirts sometimes and skirt-with-ankle-holster is just not a good look, however carefully coordinated. A shoulder holster is uncomfortable, and looks terrible under clothes. Carrying the thing in my purse meant that it would take me fifteen minutes to find it, and unless I was facing a really slow assailant, I would need to get it out quicker than that. My sister Elizabeth suggested that I had plenty of room to carry the gun in my bra. I have never much liked Elizabeth.


4. Vinnie Callabrese stood on the southeast corner of Second Avenue and St. Marks Place in New York City and watched the candy store across the street. The fat man was due any minute.

Vinnie felt neither guilt nor anxiety about what he was going to do. In fact, the only emotion he felt at that moment was impatience, because he could see the marquee of the St. Mark's Theater 80 in the next block, and he knew that Touch of Evil started in eight minutes. Vinnie didn't like to be late for a movie.

Vinnie's nose was Roman, his hair and beard thick and black, his eyes dark. He knew how to concentrate those eyes on another man and induce fear. Vinnie wasn't the heaviest muscle who worked for Benedetto, but he stood six-two and weighed a tightly packed one hundred and ninety pounds.

The fat man weighed more than three hundred pounds, but he was soft to the bone. Vinnie wasn't worried, except about the time.

With six minutes left before the movie, the fat man double-parked his Cadillac Sedan De Ville at the opposite corner, struggled out of the big car, and waddled into the candy store. Vinnie gave him long enough to reach his office, then crossed the street. The place was empty, except for the old man who made the egg creams and sold the cigarettes. Vinnie closed the door, worked the latch, and flipped the OPEN sign around. He looked at the old man and gave him a little smile.

"You're closed," he said, "for five minutes."


Sources below


Old Beginnings 15

1. Gangster....Lorenzo Carcaterra
2. Omerta....Mario Puzo
3. Family Honor....Robert B. Parker
4. L.A. Times....Stuart Woods

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

#1 - good first line, good description.

#2 - okay, nothing turns me off, so if the book jacket/author's name etc. appealed I'd keep reading to learn more about that "one last favor."

#3 - I really liked this, my favorite of the bunch, very readable, nice voice, touch of humor. The first two lines are terrific.

# 4 - The sentence about feeling neither guilt nor anxiety about what he was going to do is a good hook.

Dave Fragments said...

I recognized Mario Puzo right away.

Anonymous said...

I've never read crime novels but I'd read #1.
Would #2 survive today? Seems to be all back story.
I'd read #3 - it has a touch of humour and she's a girl.
Why does #4 seem so familiar when I'm sure I never read it? Was it a movie?

Anonymous said...

1) Absolutely. Love the image, love the mystery of why this man came to watch the man die. It doesnt sound like he's fond of him and is enjoying the fact that he's dying.

2) Not now, not ever. Too many names, too much backstory, don't like italian mob books.

3) Absolutely yes. I like her attitude, I like books with kick-ass women (I confess, I'm writing one myself), I laughed at the idea of carrying a gun in your bra.

4) I'd give it another page. If it was just another mob book i'd have to pass, but it's interesting enough to make me go on for a bit longer.