Friday, September 08, 2006

The Evil Editor Awards, Round 1


Evil Editor seldom doles out the compliments--he's evil, after all--but in honor of reaching the 100th New Beginning, I decided to choose my five favorites. My first time through I came up with 42. It took several more painful elimination rounds just to narrow it to ten. Kudos to Kate Thornton, J.E. Barnard, and Nancy Conner, whose continuations were used about 10 times each.

Why do I call this round 1? Awards tend to be presented annually, and we've been at this five months. The final nominations will cover the New Beginnings posted in 2006.


I judged the continuations based on the following criteria:

40%: Maintains the book's mood and the original author's tone. If the text color weren't different, you wouldn't know where the continuation begins. You almost feel that if the actual book doesn't go this way, it'll be a letdown.

20%: Hearkens back to the information in the opening. Doesn't just go off on a wild tangent--not that those can't be great as well, but melding the opening into the continuation gives the piece a feeling of unity.

40%: The funny or startling twist. Best if it makes you laugh or cringe, not groan.

So, with apologies to the 37 authors who deserve honorable mention (many of whom would be on this list if I created it another day), below are Evil Editor's faves.

#. ..... New Beginning 84 I disqualified the ones I wrote myself, but this was my favorite among those. How to wake up a reader you're losing.

5. ..... New Beginning 13 Nicely exaggerates the style.

4. ..... New Beginning 32 As one reader commented, "The continuation made my skin crawl."

3. ....... New Beginning 9 Love the plum. Not sure what it means, but love it.

2. ..... New Beginning 64 Didn't see how anyone could do anything with this.

1. ..... New Beginning 98 Hard to imagine the actual novel going any other direction.

Additional kudos to those who inspired this greatness with your openings.


If the second hundred are half as good as the first, I'll be thrilled. (To provide a continuation, visit Evil Editor's Openings)

12 comments:

Feisty said...

Man, I had to go all the way back and read those. I wish you had an archive system, EE. I'm really lazy and this would help me continue my sinful ways.

Evil Editor said...

But there were links to each of them. Supposedly you merely had to click on the numbers.

Feisty said...

Oh, geeze. Just slap me!

Anonymous said...

You are evil, Editor....

Evil Editor said...

I've made it more obvious that there are links now. The link color isn't very distinct.

writtenwyrdd said...

#98 was the best, I agree. Liked your Meat Popsicle one too.

Anonymous said...

Meat?

Are we obsessed with food lately?

McKoala said...

These were all great! Congrats to all.

Meat popsicle. Evil One, I had no idea...

Anonymous said...

Meat popsicle ... domination by two women. Hmm, I'm beginning to wonder about you, EE.

Anonymous said...

Not that you're taking votes, but #9 was funny all over again. What a great time re-reading, like hearing a joke a month later that you know you love.

I'm reading the New Beginning and thinking, "yes, yes, I remember this." Then, getting to the continuation, I edge forward in my seat. "Oh my gosh, is this the one ..."

Put your drink down, John, swallow quickly.

Yes, it was the one. Go #9 for MVC, Most Valuable Continuation.

Anonymous said...

Great ones! Can't wait to see the next 100.

(I'm honoured so many of mine were used, but not surprised none of them won)

Anonymous said...

PS - I think #13 is my favourite continuation of all time.