Saturday, May 24, 2014

Evil Editor Classics


Below are three descriptive paragraphs taken from my works in progress. Unfortunately, I've left out the lines in which I reveal what it is I'm describing. But you should have no trouble figuring that out, assuming my descriptions are spot-on. It's like a blind taste test, but with literature instead of food. The correct answers are below each paragraph, in invisible ink. To reveal them, highlight them with your cursor.


1. Slowly, fearfully she inched forward, hoping beyond hope that all of their wishes might be granted. They had come so far, endured so much . . . he couldn't deny them. One by one the three before her made their requests, and seemed pleased with his responses. But her . . . would he give her what she wanted? Could he? She didn't think so. There's no place like home, she thought. She so wanted to be back home, to have this over with. She asked him. Lightning flashed, thunder crashed, a disembodied voice crackled unintelligibly. Overwhelmed with fear, she held her ground and meekly repeated her request.
Going through a McDonalds drive-through on a stormy night at closing time.



2. It was my favorite part of the grocery store. The aromas wafted over me like a neap tide of mango puree. Tomatoes. Avocados. Peaches the size of apples. Apples the size of Casabas. Casabas the size of volleyballs. And then I saw them, calling to me from the tropical fruit rack like the sirens to Odysseus, like a bird feeder to a squirrel. I had to have them. I squeezed them. Soft and yet firm. I buried my face in the entire rack and sniffed deeply. A state of perfect ripeness. Did I dare sneak a taste, here in the store? Could I even resist?
The breasts of Kroger produce clerk Margarita Sanchez



3. I looked at the framed glass rectangle before me and was struck not by the natural beauty, not by the classic wool coat or the pince-nez, but by those magnificent muttonchops. Try as I might, I could not take my eyes away.
Staring out the window at a bespectacled man hacking a sheep to death with an ax.

 

No comments: