Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Evil Editor's Kickstarter Project


Toni Morrison said "If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it."

What she failed to add was that if you're the only person who wants to read it, you're gonna have trouble finding a publisher.

I've written a dozen books that I wanted to read, compiling material from this blog. I never know whether such a book will sell 300 copies or 30 or 3. I don't really care how many, as long as I have my own copy, but ordering 300 and selling 3 is wasted money, and so is ordering 3 at a time if I'm going to sell 300, as the price per copy drops the more you order at once.

My project is a collection of politically inspired comic strips featuring Donald Trump and his co-conspirators, tentatively titled Donald Trump Strips. I've started a Kickstarter campaign to help me gauge the number of copies to order. Most of the rewards you can get for backing the project include a digital version of the book plus one or more other Evil Editor books. If you want the actual printed book, I'm charging $45, and the amount raised (assuming I reach my goal), will determine whether it's hardcover or paperback.

I'll still be creating the book if the Kickstarter campaign doesn't reach its goal, but since this book will appeal to a wider audience than just fans of Evil Editor, a Kickstarter project should reach more of them than just mentioning it on the blog.

Anyway, you can view the campaign here 


As an added bonus, anyone who backs the project in the first 24 hours will receive a free digital version of Evil Editor's History of the World in Tweets.



6 comments:

khazar-khum said...

I beg you--please keep this place free of politics, unless you ridicule everyone equally. If you don't have Hillary or whoever stripping too, in some kind of political strip off, it won't be pretty. I mean, having any of them stripping won't be pretty, but I think you know what I am saying here.

Evil Editor said...

Not really. What politicians have I ridiculed on this site?

khazar-khum said...

No, you haven't.

What I meant was--how many of our politicians do we really want to see on the ol' stripper pole? Trump? Hillary? McConnel? Gore? Broadcasting that would be illegal under the Geneva Convention.

Anonymous said...

I took a look at your kickstarter project. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, EE, but I am getting a slight twinge of a subtle hint that you might not always be 100% behind your new Commander in Chief...am I right?

(I pride myself on reading between the lines and detecting nuances that are not obvious to others).

Mister Furkles said...

It is nearly always a BAD idea for people in any type of entertainment or the arts to engage in political activities in public. The problem is two fold. (1) You insult at least half of the public because you say "I'm so much smarter than you dummies, that I'll shine the light of truth on your stupid views." and (2) It affects your own nonpolitical work in the worst way.

Once comics engage in public politics, they can't be funny any more. All they can do is get chuckles from those who believe as they do. The problem is comedy is that it requires perfect timing and political timing is entirely different than comedy timing. The problem with actors doing it is the audience no longer sees them as the characters they portray but as the political hacks they become. The problem for writers is similar to the problem for comics. Writers must telegraph their plots to provide the political argument which destroys any suspense or irony.

In the case of writers, I had to stop reading Grisham because he has gone quite political and can't write a story the reader won't figure out from the first thirty pages. In The Confession it is transparently obvious from the beginning where the story is going and all of the characters are simple ciphers. The same applies to the anti-tobacco novel he wrote. Happens I agree with his views on the death penalty and that tobacco is bad for your health. It doesn't matter whether the reader agrees or not, it makes for a very dull and predictable story.

If you want to do politics, do only politics. If you want to do the arts or entertainment, keep your political and religious views to yourself.

Sorry about the long post. I dashing to work and can't edit it, so likely there are some errors and awkward phrases. Sorry about that.

Anonymous said...

It's a free country KK, and EE can strip whomever he pleases. Last time I looked, the amount of influence Hillary currently wields...zero. And Trump's decisions affect not only this country but many others around it. And he has his finger on the button. Scary, scary times. Instead of yelling at the television (maybe in addition to yelling at the tv - I don't know what EE does in his free time) - he's doing what artists do - holding up a mirror to society. A democracy needs a robust and healthy criticism of the decisions its leaders make. Well done, EE.

The critique I offer of the cartoons is not that they're not accurate... they're too accurate. Depressing rather than funny.

That's just my two cents - and I'm not even a USAian.