Guess the Plot
1. Sinister "accidents" are happening at the Lofton Estates. Only Manuel, the under-gardener, suspects the truth about those innocent-looking yellow flowers near the gate. Armed with only courage, weedkiller and pruning shears, can Manuel fight the power of . . . the Calendula Witch?
2. To sort through his emotions after learning he's adopted, Jeremy decides to sail his little catamaran, the Calendula Witch, across the Atlantic. But there's more to the Witch than he knew--she's really an Alluvimarr, shape-changed into a boat to guide Jeremy to his heritage in time to save his home world from destruction.
3. When her assistant at the magical research laboratory is injured and hospitalized, Calendula investigates, discovering that the hospital is a locus of pure evil. The good news is that Calendula rescues her assistant. The bad news is that Calendula's closest friends kidnap her baby daughter. Is Callie witch enough to defeat the forces aligned against her?
4. Ace homicide detective Zack Martinez sneezes halfway through telling Sgt. Shamrock they need a "calendar witch" who can alter time if they ever want a day off, and presto! A magical hippie chick appears, contaminating the crime scene with flower petals and enchanted glitter dust. She is horrified to see a corpse lying there with an ice pick in his head and quickly re-animates it. Trouble ensues.
5. Enid Whiffleton was the sorriest teenager in Littleville until she ate a basketful of calendula blossoms and acquired magical powers of canine bewitchment. Now she's the proud owner of the Twelve Dog Flying Trapeze Circus. But will she complete her destiny by finding love in the arms of her arch-rival, lion-tamer Thor Jones?
6. When her parents die in a car crash, twelve year old Mary Gold will do anything to keep her siblings from going into foster care . . . even witchcraft. But she's not very good at it, and when a love potion goes terribly wrong in the school cafeteria, hilarity ensues. Can Mary learn enough witchcraft to keep Child Services from splitting up her family?
When her assistant Dreanor is injured in a mysterious lab accident, San Francisco witch Calendula Isadora (Callie) investigates. It’s not the first time strange things have happened in CORP [--which stands for Paranormal and Occult Research Center, but they got so much ridicule for calling themselves PORC that they scrambled the letters--], the magical research laboratory where witches and warlocks study the science behind their spells. [Sample questions on the standardized test for admittance to
Turning a human male into a horned toad is an example of
a. a chemical reaction
b. blind luck
d. Einstein's relativity theory
e. utter hilarity
Which is more likely to improve the flavor of witch's brew?
a. Eye of newt
c. Urine of Brad Pitt
d. Egg of a hen that's been on an oregano-only diet
e. Contents of a large pustule]
The trail goes cold, however, as Dreanor begins to heal, and Callie is distracted by the joy of her own growing pregnancy.
Callie continues to search for the cause of the accident, even as she hires a temp to fill in for her assistant,
[Calendula: Thanks for coming, I'll need you for about two weeks.
Temp Assistant: The agency didn't actually tell me what my duties would be.
Calendula: Let's see, you'll be scrubbing out the cauldrons, injecting poison into apples, luring plump children to my home in the woods, and gathering organs and extremities from small animals.
Temp Assistant: Oh well, it's gotta be better than my last job, waxing Rosie O'Donnell's back.]
fulfils her duties as a member of her coven, and inadvertently creates a most peculiar golem. [She hacks up a phlegmball in the shape of a tiny man, and it does a soft shoe dance. Most peculiar.] Then, just before her baby is to be born, Callie discovers that the hospital itself is a locus of evil. She rescues Dreanor and brings her back to the coven house.
On Samhain, the holiest night of the witch calendar, Callie gives birth to Valeriana. Then, in a shocking betrayal, those closest to Callie drug her and take her newborn daughter. Now she must rely on her own power, and the help of two humans, to defeat the forces united against her and reclaim her child.
CALENDULA WITCH, an urban fantasy, is complete at 85,000 words. The novel stands on its own, but is also envisioned to be the first in a series. I’ve enclosed _________. May I send you more of the manuscript?
It's not clear why we're spending so much time on the assistant and the lab accident. Is it just because it gets Callie to the hospital where she discovers the evil locus? I'm not sure we need that, either. Why not begin:
On Samhain, the holiest night of the witch calendar, Calendula Isadora gives birth to a baby girl. Then, in a shocking betrayal, those closest to Callie drug her and take her newborn daughter.
Now fill us in on who she is and how she handles the situation. That's your story, isn't it?