Monday, May 21, 2007

Contributions Wanted


I've received many emails the last day or two beseeching me not to retire this blog. I'm not going anywhere, but it's worth noting that if I'd done a face-lift a day for the past week, instead of the detective stories, there would currently be no query letters remaining in the queue. And there aren't many openings either. Remember, query letters can be for any type of book, including nonfiction. Openings can come from short stories as well as novels. Some of you have sent everything you have. The rest, it's your time. Remember, Evil's just my first name, not an adjective describing how I treat my minions.

Also, don't be shy about sending in continuations to the openings posted at Evil Editor's Openings (link in sidebar). I realize it gets frustrating when Evil Editor never chooses your continuation. But the majority of people who made it into the pages of Novel Deviations and Novel Deviations, vol. 2, have only one opening or continuation in the book. These books wouldn't even exist if not for one-hit-wonders. All it takes is one moment of inspiration, preferably at a time when everyone else's submissions suck.

Speaking of Novel Deviations, vol. 2, I originally predicted it would be shipped in early June. Actually, it's ready already. Those who pre-ordered it should have it now. Those who ordered in the past week should have it by Friday.

13 comments:

Dave Fragments said...

My copies of Novel Deviations II arrived just after Mother's Day (the 13th). It looks good and reads well.

Chris Eldin said...

Hi EE,
I wanted to ask if I could post a request on SCBWI boards--there's a manuscript exchange that's popular, and writers often post their queries for public comment.

Just asking...

But I'm extremely relieved you're not planning on going anywhere soon. Your blog is terrific fun and educational!

Cheers,

Evil Editor said...

Sure, anything that drums up business is good.

Chris Eldin said...

Hi EE
Thanks, and done!!

But please, oh yee of noir tendencies, be forewarned you might be inundated with kiddie lit.

(smile, grin)

just a minion's way of teasing an evil editor!!

Cheers

AmyB said...

I'm so glad this site isn't going away! I'm getting addicted to it.

I keep thinking about submitting something, and then I tell myself, no, it needs more work. Because I can only submit any given thing once, and I don't want to waste the feedback on a too-early draft. I guess I just need to bite the bullet and put some stuff out there.

Chris Eldin said...

Hi EE,
People on the SCBWI discussion board are asking if you're a real editor.

What should I post, if anything?

Cheers,

Evil Editor said...

People don't care if I'm evil, just whether I've edited anything? Figures.

I do try to work in some real editing, though of course the blog is my top priority. Usually the Evil Minions are more helpful than EE, anyway. My recommendation: tell them to visit the blog and read a dozen face-lifts and decide if they can handle the same treatment. Most people will tolerate the criticism just to see what Guess the Plots the minions come up with.

Brenda said...

Hmm. Evil Editor a real editor.

I tend to view him more as a god... but that's just me.

PJD said...

Give me a week or two, I'll have another query ready for the roasting spit. My only regret is that I am too busy to give this site the amount of time I'd like to, and I already spend more time here than any other site every day. Except the one I work on for my day job, of course.

pacatrue said...

I'm not really an alpaca.



Oh god, I finally said it.

PJD said...

Pacatrue, my confidence is shattered! I am willing to accept you as you really are, however. What are you, anyway?

Marissa Doyle said...

The one-l lama
He's a priest.
The two-l llama
He's a beast.
And I will bet
A silk pajama
There isn't any
three-l lllama.*

*The author's attention has been called to a type of conflagration know as a three-alarmer. Pooh.

-Ogden Nash

Marissa Doyle said...

"I tend to view him more as a god... but that's just me."

God? No! Centerfold!

I think it's the side whiskers that do it for me.