Monday, March 26, 2007

The Next Line


If you haven't been by lately, we're trying a new feature. Someone submits a dialogue excerpt and someone else contributes . . . The Next Line.

So far we've done it only with dialogue excerpts that were posted 3/16 to 3/18. The ones that already have a "Next Line" are now posted directly beneath this post. The others are still archived in the 3/16 - 3/18 range, if you'd like to try one. The goal is to come up with something unexpected and/or amusing. The next line needn't be dialogue. If you do add dialogue, you may precede it with one line of action (She threw her drink in his face. "Does that answer your question?" she asked.)

If you submit your "Next Line" as a comment to the original dialogue it'll be easier for me to see which dialogue it is.

7 comments:

writtenwyrdd said...

This is such a cool idea! thanks for doing it.

pacatrue said...

I loved this because I was supposed to spend my Friday night formatting a manuscript for copy editing, and instead I got to spend it writing up dialogue continuations. EE offers an important service to the procrastinators of the world.

Xenith said...

These are fun. More interesting than the opening continuations, I think.

But Pacatrue has scared every off.

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

That's what I was thinking, xenith!

Paca definitely has a knack for this sort of thing, though.

Brenda said...

So this is what happens when I'm out of action for a few days...

pacatrue said...

I clearly enjoy them as well. Moreover, I'm out of everyone's way at this point. I do everything in waves. I spent two hours putting in entries for about 2/3 of the dialogues and most of them didn't make the grade. So have at it, all.

I guess these would have submission rates somewhat similar to the new continuations, so EE will have to assess whether or not there seems broader interest than the 4 of us. I suppose comments might also pick up when the dialogues are new.

McKoala said...

I'm interested; just overworked and likely to be for a few days. I'll be trying my hand as soon as I can. In the meantime, Paca's doing a top job on his own...