Saturday, March 24, 2007

The Next Line 9

At lunch, as Melissa and Sheryl walked toward the tables, Peter caught up with them.

"It's so cool about your solo," Peter said.

Sheryl raised her eyebrows. "What solo?"

"Melissa might dance a solo in our studio's recital," he answered.

"It might not be me," Melissa said. "Jade may get it."

"Who's Jade?" Sheryl asked.

"She's this snotty girl in our class," Peter blurted out. He grinned. "Wouldn't it be great if you showed her up?"

"Yeah, it'd put her in her place," Melissa agreed, enjoying a vision of the black-haired girl stomping out of the practice room.

"What kind of dancing is it?" Sheryl asked.

When Peter hesitated, Melissa said, "Ballet." She set her lunch bag on a table.

Sheryl sat beside her. "I always wanted to learn to dance." She exhaled loudly. "But Mom says there's no money for lessons."

"I just started a year ago," Peter said. "My sister was taking lessons, and I went with her one time. They let me take the class, and I — I liked it . . . But it . . . " He broke into sobbing. "It doesn't mean I'm gay!"


Dialogue: Anonymous.....The Next Line: Evil Editor

No comments: