Sunday, March 25, 2007

The Next Line 14

She’d grown to expect it. Sooner or later, everyone asked. No, that wasn’t precisely true. Sooner or later, everyone who didn’t know better, asked.

“So, what are you, anyway?”

She turned to Daniel and stared at him. “What am I?”

“You know,” he said, running his finger up and down his face. “Your looks, where do they come from?”

Why did everyone always want to know? “I don’t know, actually.”

He looked puzzled. “You don’t know? But...?”

She looked him straight in the eye. “No, I don’t.”

“Oh. I’m sorry. I mean, I’m really sorry, I didn’t know that you were...” He looked to her for help.

She raised her eyebrow. Waited. Shook her head a little.

“I’m sorry,” he said.

She shrugged and walked away. Jerk, she thought. You'd think he'd never seen a six-foot tall parrot.

Dialogue: Kaylea.....The Next Line: Evil Editor

1 comment:

pacatrue said...

Nice, EE. I kept trying to give her an elephant's trunk for a nose but couldn't get it to work.